Avatar

Sunday, September 1, 2013

THING #14 - Flow Charts and Mind Maps


                 After playing around with mind maps and flow charts I think that flow charts are easier for young children to understand. Flow charts use simple boxes and lines to connect ideas, as opposed to a mind map where there are lots of boxes and connecting lines. I think that young children would benefit from learning how to use flow charts and as they mature (and begin writing more complex essays) they should move into mind maps. 

Flow charts would also be fun to use when teaching children how to write "beginning, middle, and ends" of stories. We could have them move the boxes into the correct sequence of events.
            
                  I chose to set up a flow chart account at gliffy because I first tried setting one up at flowchart.com but they still have not sent me an invitation to join their site. SO, I moved on and tried out Gliffy. Gliffy was very simple to use, they have short tutorial that shows you how to use the site then you simply click start drawing. I used this to create a real project that I have coming up, I made a flow chart of my intended research projects for my MAT program. this is a simple to understand flowchart of my intended program of study. I could use this tool in my future class room when I want to create a simple diagram of what my expectations of the day are for the class. 


                                                                  FLOW CHART



                  I set up a mind map account  at Bubbl.us and figured out how to use it. It is actually quite fun to use once you get the hang of it. It helps in organizing your ideas. If you have a lot of different thoughts but are not sure how they connect, this is a great way to get a visual with lines and bubbles connecting them. So you would start with your topic and then put off shoots that support that topic. This would be a great tool in teaching when you teach children how to write essays with supporting sentences. You show them how you write down your topic or idea and use the other bubbles to support it. 

                                                             MIND MAP


No comments:

Post a Comment