Avatar

Monday, September 2, 2013

THING #15 - wiki



                     Well I just successfully completed my first editing experience on a wiki page! I went into 23 Things sandbox wiki and started messing around with it until I figured out how to "edit" a page. I chose not to edit anyone's previous work because I don't think that's very nice. I figure who ever posted in the past had taken time and consideration into their editing on the wiki page and I don't think its very nice to change that. So instead of editing someone's older material, I added my own new information to the 23 things sandbox APSU wiki page. So far my favorite feature of 23 things that I plan on using in my classroom would be from "thing #12" because I plan on using the Google calender and the Google alert features.

(this is a screen shot of the page)

                 I have used Wiki in the past and am familiar with the concept but strictly as an observer. I had never edited a website before so this was a brand new experience. I realized that I had to create an account in order to edit it, they do not allow just anyone to edit on it. After creating an account I searched for the APSU 23 things website and from there was allowed to edit the page and add my own information.

                I find it interesting that wiki essentially lets anyone write anything they want on any given topic. I think that this could be dangerous if there is no one watching over the information to check the validity of what is written. However, I also think that it is up to the reader to be a cautious consumer of the information they are ingesting.

                I might use a wiki with my class. I could give them an assignment to find out all the information they could about BETA fish (ex. where they are from, how they breathe, male/female characteristics) I would tell them to edit and change the wiki page as they gathered information on the BETA fish. I would be the administrator of the page to ensure the information was factual and at the end of the assignment we could purchase a class pet BETA fish.


No comments:

Post a Comment