Avatar

Monday, September 9, 2013

Thing #24- Food for thought

I almost titled this Blog "Thing 24- My Last post" However, this is not the case. I suppose a more appropriate title would be "Thing 24- My Last Required Post" because this is, you see, my last "required" post for this class. However, I do not intend this to be my last post. I kind of like blogging, I finally am "keeping a journal." I am actually excited to have this assignment over (not becuase I found it so dreadful) but because now the restrictions are lifted. I feel that I have the freedom to say and write about whatever I want to now that I have the graded part out of the way.

My favorite discoveries and exercises on this learning journey were the easy slideshow animato, and RSS & Feedly in Thing #10. I had never heard of Feedly before and truly appreciate that it brings the information to me. Information that I am actually interested in and want to know about.

This program has affected my lifelong learning goals because it truly made me realize the importance technology has and will continue to play in our lives.  Technology is not only important in our own personal lives but the lives of our students as well. As a teacher it is important that we are able to connect and relate to what our students are learning, not only at school, but at home, in the media, and in technology.

There are so many wonderful resources available to teachers that we have no excuse to present a sub-par lesson that is boring. I don't want to ever make my students sit through a "boring" class I want our classes to truly be learning experiences where they LOVE what they are learning and find it fascinating and interesting. I think that the internet and technology is making that possible!

My takeaway is that learning IS a lifelong process. That we really need to actively strive to stay atop of the latest technology so we can offer our students the best education available. Also, the information now available to teachers allows us to connect and pool our resources of knowledge and experience. Teachers can now offer the best nuggets of wisdom of what worked for them and their students.  know that we are in this as a team. As a teacher we should all have the goal of bringing out the best in our students and preparing them to be productive, successful, members of society.

I don't really know what you could do differently to approve upon this format. I learned so much that I really don't know what I would add, especially since I never would have thought of doing this to begin with!

I think I already addressed the question "how will what you have learned influence your practice as a teacher" in the above paragraphs. It will enable me to provide the students with creative, interactive, activities that I wouldn't have known about without using technology.

I will keep up with developments in web 2.0 but using the websites and resources I have learned here on this very blog! I will check in with the teacher social media networks I have joined. I will use Feedly, Facebook, and Pintrest to browse teacher and education groups. I can simply Google developments in web 2.0 occasionally and I know that the newest technology will be the top hits that I should check out. I can even come back here to this website and see what new assignments you have for students to accomplish!

Where do you go from here?
That is the last question posed to officially complete this activity. Well my friend, I like the suggestion of "give yourself the gift of time" - ask yourself what did I learn today? I also plan on using my blog in the classroom. I very well may "re-purpose" it to be my classroom blog. Or I may use it to write down the various events that effect me as a teacher documenting the special things the students do or say.  Maybe I will use it to write what I learned today and set a goal of how I can be an even better teacher tomorrow.


1 comment:

  1. This blog is very relaxing...makes me want to go to the beach

    ReplyDelete